/ Washington DC / Places to Visit / Old Executive Office Building
The Eisenhower Executive Office Building was built in 1871 to house the War and Navy Departments, replacing the obsolete War Office building on the same site.
The Eisenhower Executive Office Building was built in 1871 to house the War and Navy Departments, replacing the obsolete War Office building on the same site. By World War II, the War and Navy Departments outgrew the building, and were spread out in numerous additional temporary structures on the National Mall. After the military relocated to the Pentagon in 1943, the building fell into disrepair and was regarded by President Harry Truman as 'the greatest monstrosity in America'. The Eisenhower Executive Office Building has since been used for Presidential executive offices. The first televised Presidential news conference took place in the Indian Treaty Room in 1955, and the building now houses the Vice President's office, along with the National Security Council and other executive offices.
1650 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20502, USA
The building that now houses the Renwick Gallery was originally the home of the Corcoran Gallery of Art
Benjamin Henry Latrobe designed the house, completed in 1818, for naval hero Stephen Decatur and his wife
The White House is the official residence and workplace of the President of the United States, and Washington DC's most famous address
A smaller, less spectacular church near St
This is the oldest art gallery in the American capital, housed in a beautiful, large Beaux-Arts building
The Ringgold-Carroll House was built in 1825 for Tench Ringgold, who was part of a three-member team in charge of restoring public buildings in the District of Columbia, following the War of 1812
Designed by William C
The National Geographic Museum showcases a variety of changing exhibitions on nature, history, and culture
Franklin Square is less known than McPherson Square to the west and Mount Vernon Square to the east
This is the world's only museum devoted to art made by women