/ Vienna / Places to Visit / Gasometer
If you are interested in the combination of new modern with old historic architecture, take a trip to the gasometers that have been revitalized from gas-tanks to new multi-functional buildings.
If you are interested in the combination of new modern with old historic architecture, take a trip to the gasometers that have been revitalized from gas-tanks to new multi-functional buildings. The gasometers are four former gas tanks, built as part of the Vienna municipal gas works Gaswerk Simmering in 1896-1899. They are located in the 11th district called Simmering. They were used from 1899 to 1984 as gas storage tanks. After the changeover from town gas to natural gas they were no longer used and were shut down. In the time between 1984 and 1997 the gasometers were used as a film location (James Bond: The Living Daylights) and as the location for raves known as Gazometer-Raves. They were revitalized from 1999 to 2001 by the architects Jean Nouvel, Coop Himmelblau, Manfred Wehdorn, and Wilhelm Holzbauer. Each gasometer was divided into several zones for living, shopping and entertainment. The historic outside wall was conserved. Several other facilities including a music hall, cinema, student accommodation, municipal archive, etc. are located inside the Gasometers. There are special guided tours with experts available for visitors.
Guglgasse 12, Vienna, Austria
+43 720 740966
It began its life as a carriage-riding area for the nobility
A huge museum featuring weapons and military maps from different periods
Intended as a summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy, was outside the city walls
Even an avowed hater of modern art can appreciate this
Home to Europe's biggest Rock festival
Madame Tussauds Wien presents life-size realistic wax models of famous personalities from history and present day celebrities from around the world
An imposing Soviet style monument near Karlsplatz commemorates the Soviet victory in Vienna over the Nazi army
Largest Baroque cathedral north of the Alps, designed by the famous architect Bernhard Fischer von Erlach