The Scrabo Tower was built in 1857 atop Scrabo Hill as a memorial to Charles William Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry, Lieutenant Colonel of the Light Dragoons and the Duke of Wellington's Adjutant General in the Napoleonic Wars. The 125 feet high turreted tower is built in the style of earlier Scottish watch-towers along the border, with a viewing platform on top that offers panoramic views of Newtownwards. The tower has now been converted into a centre for the Countryside and Wildlife Branch of the Department of the Environment and houses a permanent exhibition on the Scrabo Country Park in which it stands. The hill is known for its sandstone quarries, as well as archaeological excavations.
203a Scrabo Rd, Newtownards BT23 4SJ, United Kingdom
+44 28 9181 1491
Scrabo Tower and Nearby Attractions on Map
No tours found for Scrabo Tower !