/ Bangkok / Places to Visit / Victory Monument (Bangkok)
The Victory Monument was constructed in 1941 by military dictator Plaek Pibulsongkhram to commemorate the 59 Thais who lost their lives in the short and inconclusive Franco-Thai War.
The Victory Monument was constructed in 1941 by military dictator Plaek Pibulsongkhram to commemorate the 59 Thais who lost their lives in the short and inconclusive Franco-Thai War. It resulted in Thailand annexing some territories in western Cambodia and northern and southern Laos. However, Pibulsongkhram was kicked out in 1944 and the patch of land gained by Thailand was handed back to Laos and Cambodia in 1945, making the 'victory' a little hollow. These days this spiky Bangkok landmark is better known as Bangkok's largest local bus hub. If traveling north by Skytrain, you'll be treated to a 180-degree curving panorama of the monument, and this is the best view you can get as actually reaching the base of the monument would require passing through a triple-laned traffic circle maelstrom of buses.
The Suan Pakkad Palace is a complex of five Thai-style houses which were once the residence of one of Thailand's leading art collectors, Prince Chumbhot of Nagara Svarga
Definitely off the tourist trail, this more or less deserted temple shows how local residents practise their religion
Right at the banks of the Chao Phraya River is this classical Venetian-style building from the Danish East Asiatic Company
Portuguese descendants of the early traders in Ayutthaya first settled at the other bank of the river in Thonburi (at the site of the Santa Cruz Church), but gradually moved towards the other bank of the river
The Baiyoke Tower II is the tallest tower in Bangkok, soaring 304-metres into the sky
The Bangkok Dolls Museum displays a collection of about 400 dolls from around the world
Pantip Plaza is one of the best places in Bangkok for good deals on electronics and IT equipment
This is the oldest charitable society of Bangkok, founded in 1902 by Chinese immigrants in Thailand
The exhibition features a collection of old and modern items that were used every day by both townspeople and villagers