/ Bangkok / Places to Visit / Santa Cruz Church
The Santa Cruz Church is an interesting Catholic church right at the banks of the Chao Phraya River.
The Santa Cruz Church is an interesting Catholic church right at the banks of the Chao Phraya River. After the fall of Ayutthaya by a Burmese invasion, King Taksin commanded that the peoples who escaped had to settle down in Thonburi, the new capital of Siam. The King dictated that the Chinese group had to settle down around the area of Wat Kalayanamit, while the Portuguese people would have their houses built along the bank of the Chao Phraya River. The Portuguese had given military support to King Taksin to help him drive out the Burmese from Siam. In recognition of their support, King Taksin granted the Portuguese a plot of land for the building of a church. The first Santa Cruz Church was a wooden church built in 1770. When that church got into a state of decay, a new Chinese-style church was built here, as it was nearby the Chinese community that stayed at Wat Kalayanamit. That church was called 'Kudichin church' (Chinese church), and the Portuguese who settled here were called 'Farang Kudichin', which means 'Westerners at the Chinese shrine'. In 1916, the third and current Santa Cruz Church was built during the reign of King Rama IV. The church has a magnificent Italian-style architecture. The community around it still feels authentic, and is the birthplace of a famous kind of cupcake, the 'Khanom Farang Kudichin'.
112 Tesaban 1 Rd
+66 2 466-0347
When the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly moved all its factory operations to Chiang Rai in 2008, the lake and some adjoining land that were part of its compound, previously enjoying semi-wild vegetation, were turned into a public park
This compact park was built to commemorate the 60th birthday of HM Queen Sirikit in 1992
Shopping in Sukhumvit starts on the street
There couldn't have been a better place for this design gallery, at the the Emporium, the most fashionable shopping mall of Bangkok
A newly created park that opened in December 2010 right beside Tha Tien Pier and the Chao Phraya River
Ban Kamthieng is a 19th-century ancient Thai stilted teak house where you definitely wouldn't expect it: right in the middle of Bangkok's high-rises
A rare expanse of public greenery in the heart of the city, it was once property of King Rama VI, who issued a royal command to turn the area into a public park as a gift to Bangkok's residents