/ Rio de Janeiro / Places to Visit / Old Cathedral
The Old Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro is an 18th century church dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, that served as the cathedral of Rio de Janeiro from 1808 until 1976.
The Old Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro is an 18th century church dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, that served as the cathedral of Rio de Janeiro from 1808 until 1976. The historic Carmelite church has gilded Rococo woodwork by Inácio Ferreira Pinto, which provided a beautiful backdrop to coronations, weddings, funerals, and baptism of royal officials when it was used as the Royal Chapel by the Portuguese and Imperial Chapel by the Brazilians.
R. Primeiro de Março, s/n - Centro, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, 20010-000, Brazil
+55 21 2242-4828
The Old Imperial Palace was built in 1743 as the Governor House, used as the Viceroy’s Palace after 1763, and also served as a royal residence and workplace in the 19th century
Ilha Fiscal Palace, the former Customs House of Rio de Janeiro, is a green Neo-Gothic structure on an island in the Guanabara Bay
The magnificent Tiradentes Palace is the seat of the Legislative Assembly of the State of Rio de Janeiro
Housed in an Eclectic style building from 1868 that was formerly the Naval Club, the Museu Naval e Oceanográfico (Naval and Oceanographic Museum) is dedicated to the seafaring history of Rio de Janeiro and the Brazilian Navy
The Banco do Brasil Cultural Centre has a gallery, movie theatre, video room, library and stages, all within a beautiful Art Deco building from 1906
The Casa França-Brasil is a Neoclassical building constructed in 1820, which serves as a French cultural centre with a gallery and video hall
The Candelária Church, dedicated to Our Lady of Candelária, is an important historical Roman Catholic church, built and adorned over a long period, from 1775 to the late 19th century
Modeled on the Louvre in Paris, the National Museum of Fine Arts in Rio de Janeiro houses an important collection of Brazilian art
The National Library in Rio de Janeiro is the largest library in Latin America and the 7th largest in the world, with a collection of over 9 million items
Sao Francisco da Penitencia is a colonial church dating back to 1737, famous for its gilden Baroque interiors and wooden statues