/ Riga / Places to Visit / The House of the Black Cat
This building (also housing a pub of no particular note) is most famous for the two statues of black cats on the roofs.
This building (also housing a pub of no particular note) is most famous for the two statues of black cats on the roofs. The legend has it that a disgruntled tradesman who was not accepted into the Big Guild, built this house and put the cats on it with their tails pointing towards the Big Guild, thus expressing his scorn.
Next to the Big Guild, Central District, Riga, LV-1050, Latvia
+371 67 037 900
Another pretty building just behind the Big Guild, this one housed the craftsmen's guild
Housed the guild of the tradesmen, who would join after being a member of the Blackheads (see House of Blackheads)
Wagner once lived in Riga, on the street now named after him
The last remaining gate from the old city walls
Former residence of a wealthy merchant built in 1720, now a museum dedicated to life in Riga in the 17th & 18th centuries
Laima is a Latvian chocolate manufacturer and means good luck in Latvian
Covers the history of porcelain in Riga through the 19th and 20th centuries
Covers the dramatic events that occurred in the tumultuous final year of the USSR, when Soviet authorities sent troops into Riga to overthrow the elected Latvian government
Pretty to look at, but not open for visitors