The Anezsky klaster is the first Early Gothic building in Prague (founded 1234) - something notable in a city filled with amazingly well-preserved examples of Gothic architecture such as St Vitus, the Charles Bridge and the Powder Tower. Over the years the complex's convent, chapels and several churches deteriorated and in some cases, were completely destroyed. After Habsburg emperor Josef II's religious reforms, the convent was shut down in 1782 and converted into lodgings for the poor. St Anežka, (Sv. Anežka česká) who is pictured on the pink 50-crown banknote, is the patron saint of Bohemia and founder of the convent complex. She was a daughter of the ruling Premyslid family, but no wallflower in terms of her activism, intelligence and energy. St Francis of Assisi, after whom one of the churches in the complex is named, founded his religious order in 1209 without the sort of financial backing earlier orders had enjoyed. As communism was crumbling, the remaining religious leadership, decimated over years by Communism's anti-religious influence, lobbied the Vatican to finally declare Anežka a saint. This happened 12 November 1989, though Anežka's niece Elizabeth had started the process in 1328! Today, the convent is used to house part of the Czech National Gallery's collection.
Anežská 811/12, Prague 1, Czech Republic
+420 224 810 628
Convent of St Agnes and Nearby Attractions on Map
Charles Bridge(1.1 km)
The Charles Bridge (Karlův Most) connects the Old Town with Lesser Town.
Child Jesus of Prague(1.6 km)
The famous statue of Child Jesus of Prague can be seen in the Church of Our Lady Victorious of Discalced Carmelite Order in Karmelitská Street.
Jan Hus monument(0.5 km)
That striking man standing atop a patina-green metal mountain in the center of Old Town Square is not Jesus, though he resembles him.
Old Town Square(0.5 km)
The Old Town Square is the center of Prague's eventful history, dating back to the 12th century when it started out as the central marketplace.
Wenceslas Square(1.1 km)
Václavské náměstí is a wide boulevard running down from the National Museum and it's crammed with bars, restaurants and casinos.
Municipal Hall(1.5 km)
The Obecní dům was built near the Powder Tower (a storage place for gunpowder and a major trade route entry into the city) on a site called King's Court where once a royal residence stood.
U Medvidku Beer Hall(1.1 km)
Traditional Czech microbrewery and beer hall dating back to 1466.
Neo-Renaissance style music auditorium.
No tours found for Convent of St Agnes !