/ Munich / Places to Visit / Asamkirche
The Asamkirche is an 18th century Late Baroque and Rococo church in Munich built by sculptor Egid Quirin Asam and his brother, painter Cosmas Damian Asam, as their private spiritual space.
The Asamkirche is an 18th century Late Baroque and Rococo church in Munich built by sculptor Egid Quirin Asam and his brother, painter Cosmas Damian Asam, as their private spiritual space. Squeezed between the adjacent buildings on Sendlingerstraße, the façade features a wooden portal flanked by columns, over which is monumental statue of St. Johann Nepomuk to whom the church is dedicated. The awe-inspiring interiors are covered in art, with magnificent frescoes and intricate sculptures. Highlights include the ceiling fresco of Life of Saint Nepomuk, sculptural ensemble of the Holy Trinity, and the spiral columns of the high altar inspired by Bernini's Solomonic columns of St Peter's in Rome.
Sendlinger Straße 62, Munich, Germany
+49 89 23687989
Apart from the permanent exhibitions ''Typically Munich!'' and ''National Socialism in Munich - Codes of Remembrance'', the Münchner Stadtmuseum presents exhibitions on contemporary and civil history, photography, musical instruments and puppetry/ fairground amusement
Michaelskirche is the largest Renaissance church north of the Alps, built by Duke Wilhelm V as a center for the Catholic Reformation in 1583-'97
The Catholic Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady is the seat of the Archbishop and the largest church in Munich
Spread over 5
The highlight of Munich's Neues Rathaus on Marienplatz, the Glockenspiel is an elaborate mechanized set up dating back to 1908
Constructed in the late 12thcentury on the site of a pre-Merovingian church atop Petersbergl, the St Peter's Church is the oldest church in Munich
The Mariensäule in Munich is a Marian column erected in 1638 to commemorate the end of Swedish occupation during the Thirty Years' War
The Marienplatz is the central square of Munich, named after the Mariensaule - the Marian Column topped with the golden statue of Virgin Mary
That square was built at the beginning of the 19th century at a place, where the northern city fortifications used to be