/ Munich / Places to Visit / Mariensäule
The Mariensäule in Munich is a Marian column erected in 1638 to commemorate the end of Swedish occupation during the Thirty Years' War.
The Mariensäule in Munich is a Marian column erected in 1638 to commemorate the end of Swedish occupation during the Thirty Years' War. It is surmounted by a golden statue of the Virgin Mary as Patrona Bavariae (Protector of Bavaria). Believed to have been created by Hubert Gerhard, the statue depicts a crowned Mary with infant Jesus in her left arm and a scepter in her right hand, standing on a crescent moon. At the corners of the column's pedestal are statues of putto (cherub) by Ferdinand Murmann, each fighting a different beast symbolizing the city's adversities – lion representing war, basilisk representing pestilence, dragon symbolizing hunger and famine, and serpent symbolizing heresy. The shield in the putto's hand is inscribed with the name of the adversary. Together, the ensemble refers allegorically to Psalm 91, verse 13: 'Super aspidem et basiliscum ambulabis et leonem et draconem conculcabis' which translates to 'You shall walk upon the snake and the basilisk, and the lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under'.
The Marienplatz is the central square of Munich, named after the Mariensaule - the Marian Column topped with the golden statue of Virgin Mary
The highlight of Munich's Neues Rathaus on Marienplatz, the Glockenspiel is an elaborate mechanized set up dating back to 1908
Constructed in the late 12thcentury on the site of a pre-Merovingian church atop Petersbergl, the St Peter's Church is the oldest church in Munich
The Altes Rathaus on Marienplatz was built in 1470-'80 on the site of the first Munich town hall, and served as the seat of the municipality till 1874
Dedicated to toys, this is a museum which adults can enjoy as much as kids
Spread over 5
Apart from the permanent exhibitions ''Typically Munich!'' and ''National Socialism in Munich - Codes of Remembrance'', the Münchner Stadtmuseum presents exhibitions on contemporary and civil history, photography, musical instruments and puppetry/ fairground amusement
The Catholic Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady is the seat of the Archbishop and the largest church in Munich
The Hofbräuhaus am Platzl in Munich is a beer hall that traces its origins back to 1589, when it was established by Bavarian Duke Maximilian I as an extension of the royal brewery Staatliches Hofbräuhaus