/ Macau / Places to Visit / Loyal Senate Building
Built to house Macau's municipal government the Leal Senado has a neoclassical design and much of the original layout and structure has been retained through the years.
Built to house Macau's municipal government the Leal Senado has a neoclassical design and much of the original layout and structure has been retained through the years. The first floor has a ceremonial meeting room that adjoins an elaborate library. The name 'Loyal Senate' is derived from the name bestowed upon Macau 'City of Our Name of God Macau There is None More Loyal' by King Dom Joao IV in 1654 because the colony's senate refused to recognise Spain's occupation of Portugal in the early 1600s.
A colorful typical Iberian town square this is the traditional heart of Macau city
This building established by the first Bishop of Macau in 1569 provides an imposing facade for the Senate Square
No records of the exact date of construction exist but a solid brick structure was built on this site in 1622 and repaired in 1743
This pastel coloured church was founded in 1587 by Spanish Dominican priests
Built in 1889, this was the home of Lou Kau, a prominent Chinese merchant who owned several properties in the city
Established by the Spanish Augustinians in 1591 this church maintains the tradition of organising the Easter Procession around the city
Originally the residence of a Portuguese Dona, the building was purchased by Hong Kong businessman Sir Robert Ho Tung as a retreat
The old red light district
Built in 1860 as the first Western-style theatre on the Chinese coast, it remains a significant cultural landmark of the Macanese community and remains a venue for many public functions and events
This square is fronted by various pretty buildings of Macau's past era, namely the St Augustine's Church Dom Pedro V Theatre St Joseph's Seminary and Church and the Robert Ho Tung Library