/ Lyon / Places to Visit / Musée Gadagne
Musee Gadagne is home to Musée d'histoire de Lyon (Museum of Lyon History), and the Musée des marionnettes du monde (Museum of world puppets) which is centered around the famous Guignol of Lyon puppet character, an intelligent, brave and funny but impoverished man.
Musee Gadagne is home to Musée d'histoire de Lyon (Museum of Lyon History), and the Musée des marionnettes du monde (Museum of world puppets) which is centered around the famous Guignol of Lyon puppet character, an intelligent, brave and funny but impoverished man. The building itself, a magnificent Renaissance palace, is worth a visit.
1 Place du Petit Collège, 69005 Lyon, France
+33 4 78 42 03 61
The Place du Change is the largest square in the area, and the old site of the drapery which was used in the 15th and 16th centuries by moneychangers
The Rue Juiverie is a street of Vieux Lyon named after the Jewish community which originally settled there, but was expelled in the 14th century
Rue St Jean is the main thoroughfare of Vieux Lyon, part of the city's UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rue du Boeuf runs parallel to the touristy Rue St Jean, but is much quieter and just as beautiful
The Miniature and Cinema Museum, housed in the 16th century Maison des Avocats (Legal Chamber), displays about 120 miniature models of various historical and contemporary scenesof houses, restaurants, workshops, schools, etc
The largest Guignol theatre is in Lyon, showing original creations for children and adults
Lyon is known for its buildings with traboules, though some have very beautiful courtyards but no real traboules (crossing from one street to another)
The traboules are a unique architectural feature of Lyon's historical buildings, largely influenced by Italy and especially Florence
Adjacent to the St Jean Cathedral (on the northern side), the archaeological garden exhibits the remnants of the religious buildings which occupied the site before the cathedral was erected
The French neo-classical court house of Palais de Justice, also known as 'the 24 columns' for its colonnaded facade, was built between 1835 and 1842 by architect Louis-Pierre Baltard