/ Arles / Places to Visit / Arènes d'Arles
The Roman Amphitheatre Arenes d'Arles is one of the major attractions in the city, dating back to 90 AD.
The Roman Amphitheatre Arenes d'Arles is one of the major attractions in the city, dating back to 90 AD. It is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Roman and Romanesque monuments of Arles as an example of the adaptation of an ancient city to medieval European civilization. The 2-tiered had a seating capacity of 20,000 who came here to witness gladiatorial fights and chariot races. It was modified into a fortress with 4 towers after the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th century, encompassing 200 dwellings till the 19th century. Today it hosts various courses camarguaises (bloodless bullfighting) as well as plays and concerts in summer.
The Fontaine Amedee Pichot was built by Pierre-Amédée Pichot between 1884 and 1887 to commemorate the friendship between his father the journalist Amédée Pichot and the painter Paul Balze
The two round towers of the Door of the Cavalry are located at the northern entrance of the city centre
The Church of Saint Trophime, formerly a cathedral, is a 12th century Romanesque church noted for its Romanesque sculptures over the portal and in the adjoining cloisters
The Cryptoporticus of Arles is a subterranean gallery comprising 3 U-shaped double, parallel tunnels with pillars, built by the Romans to create a stable flat base for the Forum which lies in a naturally sloping area
The Réattu Museum is a museum of fine arts housed in the studio of artist Jacques Reattu, that was built in the 15th century as the Grand Priory of the Order of Malta
The 4th century Roman Obélisque d'Arles in the centre of the Place de la République is a symbol of the city, and part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Roman and Romanesque monuments in Arles
The Baths of Constantine or North Baths date back to the early 4th century, and are counted among the best preserved Roman baths in France
The Yellow House on Place Lamartine may have been bombed by the Allies and levelled during World War II, but it has been immortalized by Van Gogh in his eponymous painting