/ Antwerp / Places to Visit / Jewish Quarter
The Jewish Quarter in Antwerp is often referred to as a Shtetl (Yiddish for village or small town) due to the high population of about 15000 Jews, several of them being Orthodox and Hasidic.
The Jewish Quarter in Antwerp is often referred to as a Shtetl (Yiddish for village or small town) due to the high population of about 15000 Jews, several of them being Orthodox and Hasidic. They have traditionally been engaged in the city's diamond business, the first Jews having arrived in 1492 from Spain and Portugal. The Jewish diamond shops can be found along Pelikaanstraat starting from the Central Station, and the community has settled in the vicinity. Walk around to see the kosher establishments, synagogues, schools and institutions. Highlights include the Eisenmann Synagogue on Oostenstraat, Hollandse Synagogue on Bouwmeesterstraat, and Beth Moshe Portuguese Synagogue in Hovenierstraat.
Antwerp's famous Diamantkwartier or Diamond District lies to the south and southwest of the central station, along Pelikaanstraat
Counted among the most beautiful railway stations in the world, the Antwerp Central Station is definitely worth visiting even if you are not arriving or leaving by train
The Antwerp Zoo is one of the oldest zoos in the world, dating back to 1843
The Aquatopia is an aquarium with over 10000 fishes and reptiles in the basement of the Radisson Blu hotel
Antwerp's Chinatown is situated along Van Wesenbekestraat
The Museum Ridder Smidt van Gelder houses the decorative art collection of Peter Smidt van Gelder (1878-1956) at his Beaux-Arts residence
The Begijnhof (Beguinage) was a monastery for beguines - women who lived like nuns without taking their vows
Bourla Theatre is a 19th century neo-classicist theatre building designed by architect Pierre Bourla
Meir is Antwerp's foremost shopping destination, lined with patrician Rococo buildings housing fashion boutiques and clothing retailers
Rubenshuis on the Wapper was the home and studio of acclaimed artist Peter Paul Rubens where he stayed from 1610 till his death in 1640