Parque Central is the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage site of Antigua Guatemala, the central square with historical buildings, shops and restaurants where locals and tourists descend for fun and entertainment. The square is also known as Plaza Mayor, Plaza Real and Plaza de Armas.
At the centre of the square is the famous Fuente de las Sirenas (Fountain of the Sirens), a 1936 reconstruction of the original 1738 version designed by Diego de Porres. Important buildings around the square include the ●Palacio del Ayuntamentio also known as Casa de Cabildo – the Municipal Office with the Museo de Santiago which displays a collection of weapons and the Museo del Libro Antiguo or Antique Book Museum which displays books from colonial times, ●Palacio de los Capitanes Generales - the headquarters of the Guatemala Institute of Tourism, the Antigua Tourism Association, National Police and the Sacatepquez Department government, and ●Antigua Guatemala Cathedral. The Porta del Comercio has shops and cafes, and the Casa del Jade is where you can buy precious Guatemalan Jade jewelry and items. Off to the side of the square is the landmark Arco de Santa Catalina.
The Parque Central is a bustling place, with musicians and jugglers busking their way through the day, hawkers selling handicrafts and wares, and mariachi bands entertaining the public.
Between 4a and 5a Calles and 4a and 5a Avenidas
Parque Central and Nearby Attractions on Map
Casa Santo Domingo(0.6 km)
Casa Santo Domingo on the grounds of the Santo Domingo Monastery was once home to the order of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, but today is a hotel with museums and a chapel.
Arco de Santa Catalina(0.4 km)
The iconic Santa Catalina Arch is one of Antigua Guatemala’s best known landmarks, and provides a striking orange-yellow setting on 5th Avenue North for the smoking Volcan de Agua in the background.
Antigua Guatemala Cathedral(0.1 km)
The Saint Joseph Cathedral, better known as the Antigua Guatemala Cathedral, is a 16th century church that was one of the largest in Central America during its heyday.
ChocoMuseo Antigua(0.2 km)
Learn about the history of cacao and chocolate, and how chocolate is made from the beans at the ChocoMuseo.
Iglesia de La Merced(0.4 km)
The current building of La Merced Church dates back to the 18th century, and is one of the few churches that have survived the earthquakes that have devastated the city since.
Cerro de la Cruz(0.9 km)
The Hill of the Cross is at the north end of the city, and offers great views over the city.
Colegio de San Jeronimo(0.6 km)
The Colegio de San Jeronimo was a secondary school staffed by the Friars of La Merced from 1757 to 1761, and subsequently became the Royal Customs and then Spanish militia barracks.
Convento de las Capuchinas(0.4 km)
Formally known as the 'Convento e Iglesia de Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza' (Convent and Church of Our Lady of the Pillar of Zaragoza), the Convento de las Capuchinas is an 18th century convent designed by Diego de Porres that was the last one to be built in the city.
No tours found for Parque Central !