/ Ankara / Places to Visit / War of Independence Museum
The War of Independence Museum displays important military photographs, documents and furniture from the Turkish War of Independence against Allied proxies, which led to the establishment of the Republic of Turkey.
The War of Independence Museum displays important military photographs, documents and furniture from the Turkish War of Independence against Allied proxies, which led to the establishment of the Republic of Turkey. Housed in an Ankara stone building of the First Period of National Architecture which served as the Grand National Assembly (TBMM) until 1924, the museum consists of the Chambers of the Ruling Council, Legislative Committee Room, administrative rooms, Grand Assembly Hall, a mescit or prayer hall, the office of the chairman of the assembly, a photography room, storerooms for various works of art and an exhibition hall.
Fevzi Pasa Mah. Cumhuriyet Bulv. No 1, Turkey
+90 312 310 7140
Ulus is the heart of Ankara, a bustling area around a square with several historical sites such as the Monument of Republic, Ankara Palas and Statue of Victory
The Aslanhane Mosque, one of the oldest mosques in Turkey, dates back to 1290
The Pul Muzesi or Stamp Museum at Turkish Telecom in Ankara displays a chronological collection of all the Ottoman and Turkish stamps circulated, from the first Tughra stamps of Sultan Abdülaziz of ‘The Sublime Ottoman Empire’ issued in 1863 up to present day prints
The Victory Monument was erected in 1927 to commemorate the Turkish War of Independence
The Roman Road of Ankara is an ancient Roman road which led to the Old Ulus Town Bazaar
The Zincirli Mosque in Ulus was built in 1685 and is a typical 17th century Turkish mosque, with a stone dado and brick walls
Excavated ruins of a typical Roman bath can be seen on Cankiri Street
The remains of the Augusteum or Temple of Augustus and Rome can be seen here
The Haci Bayram Mosque is dedicated to Sufi poet Haci Bayram, who founded the Bayrami sect
The ruins of an ancient Roman theatre dating back to the 2nd century AD can be seen here